About Me

Hi! My name is Lexy Briest. I am a teacher, artist, wife, and best of all mom to Delilah Poppy. This blog is meant to document what I love and discover along the way of becoming a mommy, which to me is a never ending journey. Hope you enjoy!

Friday, January 10, 2014

A Case of Formula

When my daughter decided to wean around 4 1/2 months I had to jump into high gear way before I thought I would need to find out what formula would be a right fit for us. I already knew that she would be getting something organic. I have read too much about GMO's, reproductive/hormone disruptive ingredients found in generic, non-organic foods and their effects on behavior.

However, I am also aware that not all organic labels are equal. For example, arsenic is a common chemical found in the natural world, including our food,  but that doesn't mean you want to feed it to anyone! A lot of organic foods have rice or apple in it, two foods which often contain higher levels of arsenic. There are other naturally occurring harmful chemicals in other foods as well, organic or not.

With this knowledge I went forth to conquer the realm of formula and came across this lovely article which helped me make my decision: http://foodbabe.com/2013/05/28/how-to-find-the-safest-organic-infant-formula/. One other deciding factor: a miss Delilah Poppy's taste approval. It took her a month to fully wean so we tried a few different kinds in those early weeks. I finally settled on Baby's Only Organic Dairy Formula by Nature's Way. Based on what I read about how they choose their ingredients, and that fact that their DHA Formula comes from eggs, not Fish Oil (which contains mercury), I feel comfortable giving Delilah this necessary item.

We get it ordered by the case from VitaCost but I have also bought it singly at Wegman's, My Organic Market, and Common Market. I have yet to see it available in the other superstores and grocery stores in my area.

As I said earlier, I did not plan on having formula in our house for a very long time, if ever: I thought  wanted hoped she would breastfeed till I had to wean her. That said, we are very happy with this formula.


No comments:

Post a Comment