About Me

Hi! My name is Lexy Briest. I am a teacher, artist, wife, and best of all mom to Delilah Poppy. This blog is meant to document what I love and discover along the way of becoming a mommy, which to me is a never ending journey. Hope you enjoy!

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Going Back

This just in: the season's newest trends are spit-up, unbrushed hair, dark circles and bags under eyes, and a baby attached to your boob.  (Let's not speak of the mysterious poop stains that appear on everything and anything).

We had finally graduated from nursing every two hours to three hours during the day and one four hour shift of sleep at night when poor Delilah got her first cold with a fever.  This meant nursing every hour during the day with the occasional two hour shifts appearing in the night. I didn't feel the misery of being a milk factory like I did in the early weeks of her life when we nursed that often. This time I felt so bad that she felt so miserable that I couldn't wait to nurse her, knowing that my breast-milk and cuddles were the best medicine. As a side-note to new mommies: with this much fluid intake, there are a lot more diapers to change!!! Luckily, this only lasted a day in a half. Now we are just on snot removal duty.

The downside of us reaching the two month mark is that I have to go back to work in two weeks, for two weeks. A month ago I was looking forward to not being a milk-factory all day and having real conversations with adults and my amazing students. Now I am dreading it! Delilah just got fun, cooing and smiling during her waking hours. Watching her explore the world around her with delight and excitement warms your heart. Nursing her is not so difficult and as time consuming anymore but rather an enjoyable bonding time for the both of us. I fear not having enough milk pumped for her growing 9 lb-frame. What if she goes through a growth spurt and I am not breastfeeding her during the day for my body to know to make more milk? What about all the lovely noises and facial expressions I will miss. And the cuddling. I can't imagine what other moms go through who have to go back to work sooner or for longer. I am lucky that I will have the summer off to spend with my snugly munchkin before going back to work for good. I am also lucky that she has been sleeping for 2 1/2 hours and hasn't eaten in 3 1/2!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment